So to sum up my thoughts: -anyone can even now start working on it's own great GUI dialect for R3, or contribute and enhance to already existing R3GUI (latest version will be published soon) -anyone can create own great low-level graphic engine for XY platform or just one native binding for specific os -work of these people won't be useless if they stuck to the current gob! datatype
Ofcourse we can do slight changes to the gob!s or draw dialect as well but these should be always easy to incorporate in already existing code that relies on them
We made it to compile R3 into a single EXE. Filesize: 855566 can be packed with UPX down to 368654 (43.09%) That's the base we use for encapping R3 apps into a single EXE.
Cyphre, thanks for that info. So does the R3GUI framework work on all current R3 platforms? I understand Android is a no, but everything else?
Robert, do you have instructions posted anywhere for how you encap R3 apps into an EXE? I'd like to publish that somewhere.
Bo: R3GUI depends on the R3 View engine, which is currently only publicly available for Win32 (and that only as part of the former host kit releases, not yet integrated with the open source R3).
An Amiga port of R3/View reportedly also exists, but I don't know about its state.
The R3 I mentioned is R3-View. I'm going to publish it with the latest R3-GUI. Announcement will follow.
I wonder, if in today's web situation, it would make sense to reopent the browser plugin project?
Don't know what the effort to get something going would entail as a regular plugin, but maybe as a Chrome Native Client there could at least be something available for Chrome more easily. It seems less work, at first glance.
It would be interesting to port R2/R3 under Squeak/Pharo, http://squeak.org. Just an interesting thought.
I believe in order to do the browser port properly, the R3 engine would have to be multi-threaded or it would only work in one browser window. That seems like it would require a lot of rewriting if it isn't already in the design.
R3 is designed to be able to be thread safe. Whether it actually is that currently is a different matter
That's good to know. I know that Carl was aware of the browser limitation if not multi-threaded. I just didn't know if he worked that into R3.
There's unfinished multitasking functionality in R3. It couldn't work if it would be impossible to use R3's internals in a thread-safe way. Indeed, the way functions work was redesigned to make it so
Has anyone tried to compile in 64bit mode and dived into the problematic areas already?
I think the first thing to look at is the structu sizes. Either press it back to fit 32bit size, or expand it into 64bit space. Not sure what kind of side-effect this will have.
LiH: to me it looks you are right, you can do "pull request" with the fix.
As I'm updating my old scripts on rebol.org, I'm trying to understand the problems with compress/gzip & decompress/gzip , and found at least one issue in u-zlib.c . When compressing, as the checksum method is assumed to be adler32 for most of the code, stream->adler (the current checksum) is wrongly initialized to 1 in two places, giving an off-by-one checksum in the output and making it unusable for decompress/gzip.
Still no clue for what yields the ** Script error: value out of range: none error and why calling compress "" seems to fix this problem sometimes.It seems that something isn't correctly resetted between calls.